[nflug] Virtualization

Justin Elze formulals1 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 14:10:28 EST 2008

Are you leaning towards VMWare or Xenserver?

Currently I run a number of Xenserver deployments running on HP C class
blades and using HP MSA1500 SANs for shared storage this allows for
xenmotion(moving VMs between physical servers with no downtime).  Overall I
have been very happy with Xenserver I have been using it since release 4.0
and it has come a huge way in the past year to the current version 5.0.

Xenserver makes it very easy to vlan tag interfaces on VMs giving you the
ability to host multiple customers on the same hardware and keep them
unaware of each other.

One of Xenservers short comes when you virtualize all the servers at a SMB
is tradionally backups were done with a directly attached tape back up and
there is no provision in xenserver for it.

What kind of enviroment are you looking to virtualize? I could probably give
more appropriate advice/suggestions knowing that.

Justin Elze

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Brad Bartram <brad.bartram at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm interested in this whole virtualization of servers and services trend
> that's been on going for quite a while.  I've worked with it on workstations
> and in the traditional host - guest configurations to gain access to
> non-native applications - you know, user-level stuff.  I'm interested in it
> on the server side of things though.  I've read the marketing propaganda and
> seen the vendor white papers and all the trade news-vertisements, but I'm
> interested in hearing some real world opinions.
>
> I know some of you have opinions on it.  So what's the good, the bad, the
> shortcomings, and the strengths?  Are there any things I should look out for
> or things I should consider in planning out hardware purchases and such?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments thereto is intended only
for use by the individual or entity to whom it's addressed and may be
proprietary and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, without
the prior written permission of the sender is strictly prohibited.   If you
receive this e-mail in error, please immediately telephone or e-mail the
sender and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of this
e-mail, and any printout thereof.