[nflug] Virtualization

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 14:02:19 EST 2008

<soapbox>

I haven't really seen a need for that kind of thing, so far.  I see all kinds of things for "shared resources" but in the end, most of the things that I need require levels of hardware redundancy.  Also, in Linuxland, you don't *really* need to separate things to that level.  Why should I have multiple kernel images loaded into memory (multiple VMs on one server) when I can just use "namevirtualhost" for apache, etc.  I don't really see the need for virtual machines.  'Course, I'm "old school" as I'm sure Pete's going to call me...  It' just that I don't work in a Windows world where you have to put each service on a separate machine so it doesn't conflict and crash.

I have only had one person explain to me *one* circumstance when virtual machines make sense.  And that's Pete's situation where he buries a Windows VM on a Linux desktop.  He can reload the VM in a very short period of time if it gets hosed by viruses, etc.  Hardware has gotten so cheap that in corporate environments, it's cheaper to buy machines than to try to maintain VMs.

</soapbox>

I'm interested in watching this discussion unfold.

Cheers!

Bob

 --
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."
--Leonardo da Vinci