[nflug] Virtualization

Brad Bartram brad.bartram at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 14:23:51 EST 2008

I actually have a couple of different applications I'm toying with right
now.

For the first one, I'm looking at running a windows based application for
multiple users.  I can't get into too much detail for various reasons but
it's a traditional client  / server app with an oracle backend.  Under the
current configuration, I have quite a few front end machines at the user's
desks with each machine being about $10,000.  The problem is that the
machines aren't that powerful - they just have some specialized equipment
connected to them.

Ideally, I want to take those machines off the user's desks - consolidate
the hardware in the data center and virtualize the user's environment
allowing them to connect via a thin client.  This is very, very simplified -
but it's the gist of what I'm thinking.

The second application would be the distribution of resources in a web
services environment.  This would be a linux environment and would be a LAMP
(or in my case LAPP - the first P being postgres) setup.  Just trying to get
the most bang for my buck I guess.

Brad