[nflug] Linux Certification

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 22:16:41 EDT 2007

Here's an example for the job I just got recently. My
employer had interviewwed about 25-30 people or so
before they hired me.  About 80% of those had certs of
some form or another.  I have zero certs (I don't
believe in them) but had 10+years of real world
experience with linux (from academia to professional
consulting) and the evidence to back that up and could
relay that to them in a way that fit what they were
looking for, hence I got the job.

Sharp employers want real world experience, and you
had better be able to prove it to them,  not with a
slip of paper that says you are a good test taker.  If
you're finding you can't get those higher level jobs,
you're probably aiming a bit too high.  there's no
shame in starting lower, working harder, and
innovating your way up (or up and out to something
with better future).  Many people have the delusion,
that their cert(s) gives them the right to a high
paying "dream job".  In the real world things don't
work that way.  It's experience, and hard work that
gets you there, and certs don't necessarily convey any
"experience" at all, If anything they can reflect on
you  negatively as a "shortcut-taker", looking for the
fast way in.

--- anthonyriga <torrodimerda at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What about Redhat? There tests are hands on. I did
> get
> a Linux+ just to see if I could do it. It did have
> alot of security questions on it that was valuable
> know too. Sometimes Certs are good for guys who
> maybe
> dont have degrees or Human resource depts making the
> requirements are asking for them. I did get a degree
> too so that always helps. I have seen many job
> advertisemants wanting people to have some sort of
> cert specially MSCE ands ccna.
>

> BTW
> Linux+
> A+
>

> --- "David J. Andruczyk" <djandruczyk at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> > IMHO linux certs are about as worthwhile as a
> > Windows Vista coupon...  (same as windoze certs).
> > If you want to impress an employer.  DO SOMETHING
> > with linux, esp something creative,  whether it be
> > SW development, scripting, sys admin work, etc...
> > the paper means essentially zilch, sa it doesn't
> > convey EXPERIENCE which is what employers want..
> >

> > mihakriket <mihakriket at msn.com> wrote:
> .hmmessage
> > P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage {
> > FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma }  Does anyone
> > have any of the Linux certification? In the
> Buffalo
> > area is worth getting any of the Linux
> > certifications? If so, what is the best
> > certification to get? I have seen a couple of
> > different certification that are out their. Any
> > feedback would be helpful.
> >  Thank you..

> > -- David J. Andruczyk

-- David J. Andruczyk