[nflug] Linux Certification

Mark Leffler mleffler at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 8 22:42:33 EDT 2007

Hello, I usually just lurk on here but feel compelled to respond to this
thread.

There is one case where (for right or for wrong) certifications are
important: those who are employed by computer or IT resellers.  Often a
computer reseller has the requirement by a manufacturer whose product they
sell to have one or more on staff with certain certifications. They are
usually manufacturer-specific certifications, such as a HP certified
engineer. To obtain a HP certification, for example, in addition to the
HP-specific hardware certs you also need an operating system cert, either a
MCSE or RHCE.  If a reseller gets multiple employees on staff with
certifications, they can reach different levels with a manufacturer (Silver,
Gold, Platinum) that each come with different benefits to the reseller.
These different levels basically provide advantages to the reseller that
enable them to be more competitive (pricing-wise and otherwise) with other
resellers.

I worked for a reseller for a few years and certifications were a condition
of employment, either obtaining new ones or keeping them current.