[nflug] ldap ubuntu errors

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Nov 29 14:50:40 EST 2007

I'm going to assume the layout of your DIT is pretty standard, separate
OU's for People and group since that's all that really matters here.
What directory server are you using? Is there a proxy account which NSS
can use to bind to the server and view attributes like userPassword?

This is a working /etc/ldap.conf for Linux systems to bind to a
directory server. I don't know if this is the same on Ubuntu but Debian
splits this into two files but you can consolidate then into a single
/etc/pam_ldap.conf, I've never used ubuntu so I have no idea. Granted
you won't need the TLS stuff but it's strongly recommended unless you
don't mind people sniffing you passwords on the wire.

host    ldap1.domain.com ldap2.cognigencorp.com
base    dc=domain,dc=com
ldap_version    3
binddn  cn=proxyagent,ou=profile,dc=domain,dc=com
bindpw  password
ssl     start_tls
nss_map_attribute       uniqueMember member
pam_filter      objectclass=posixAccount
nss_base_passwd ou=people,dc=domain,dc=com?one
nss_base_shadow ou=people,dc=domain,dc=com?one
nss_base_group  ou=group,dc=domain,dc=com?one
tls_checkpeer   yes
tls_cacertfile  /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.pem