[nflug] Dump XP image to VMWARE

Sam Stern samstern at samstern.net
Tue Sep 26 11:11:59 EDT 2006

<big snip>
> When it's all said and done, they OS will do what the OS
> does. XP borks
> on new hardware at the level of motherboard, controllers, so that's
> where the problem lies. If there is a way around that, I'd
> like to know.
> Just do one install in vmware, if it's going to be used all
> over, make
> it as generic as possible, then copy it around.

Hi All,

There is a very nice tool called "sysprep" which is used in MS based os's
for just this problem.

<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302577>

Or

<http://tinyurl.com/3kmqk>

When I make my master images I like to always choose the hal in xp as "acpi
multi processor" since this hal works well with in both uni processor and
smp situations and avoids the one problem with sysprep: it cannot change
hals. Fortunately both the standard hal, the mpc and the acpi hal work well
in vmware so whatever hal your image is using (so long as it's not the old
Compaq or alpha hal) that image will work in vmware.

HTH

Sam S.