[nflug] Dump XP image to VMWARE

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Tue Sep 26 11:04:21 EDT 2006

anthonyriga wrote:
> Pete
>
>   I was reading on vmwares site there is a p2v
> assistant that will take a gost image of a pc and let
> you dump it to a vmworkstation. I bet the windows part
> wont work becasue of driver issues. I cant tell on
> ther site if you can dump the windows image to a Linux
> Host
> with p2v.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> --- Cyber Source <peter at thecybersource.com> wrote:
>

>> anthonyriga wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any tricks to dumping and XP
>>>
>> ghost
>>
>>> image to wmvare workstation or player? Or dumping
>>>
>> the
>>
>>> OS to a vmware image?

>> Also, doing a Linux one is very cool. For instance,
>> I made one with my
>> old FC4 because I couldn't get some of my installs
>> working in my Ubuntu
>> (php, web based stuff, mysql) because of newer
>> versions of stuff etc.,
>> so I made an image of my old FC4 and run that in
>> vmware, this way it
>> fires up apache and stuff and I can still do my work
>> just by hitting the
>> IP of the vmware station. I even made some crons in
>> the vmware station
>> to write the important data to my new box in case of
>> bad things. This
>> was a great workaround until I fix what I need on
>> the new box.

When it's all said and done, they OS will do what the OS does. XP borks
on new hardware at the level of motherboard, controllers, so that's
where the problem lies. If there is a way around that, I'd like to know.
Just do one install in vmware, if it's going to be used all over, make
it as generic as possible, then copy it around.