[nflug] nfs and samba

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Feb 16 11:06:39 EST 2006

samba and nfs should play nicely together, samba will honor the the unix
permissions. you don't need to use any special share options for the nfs
shares/exports, other then like 'rw' for a netgroup if necessary. just
make sure that the windows users are in sync the unix accounts and that
they exist in the groups you want.

my nfs server exports about 1Tb+ of the same data to solaris, linux, and
windows hosts and it's seemless. my nfs server is solaris but that
souldn't matter. are you windows machines in a domain or AD?

Cyber Source wrote:
> Hello All,
>  I am looking for a way for nfs and samba to play together nicely when
> they share the same data. It is a situation that now we are employing
> more Linux workstations and this need has come up and I am currently
> having permission problems, was looking to see if any of you guys have a
> method that works. For my nfs shares I use the option on the share
> (anongid=***) and then add the users to that group. Is there a way for
> samba and nfs users to share the same group? Or is there a better way
> than this? Thanks, Peter

Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Cognigen Corp.