[nflug] nfs and samba

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Thu Feb 16 17:53:52 EST 2006

Darin Perusich wrote:
> samba and nfs should play nicely together, samba will honor the the
> unix permissions. you don't need to use any special share options for
> the nfs shares/exports, other then like 'rw' for a netgroup if
> necessary. just make sure that the windows users are in sync the unix
> accounts and that they exist in the groups you want.
>
> my nfs server exports about 1Tb+ of the same data to solaris, linux,
> and windows hosts and it's seemless. my nfs server is solaris but that
> souldn't matter. are you windows machines in a domain or AD?
>
> Cyber Source wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> I am looking for a way for nfs and samba to play together nicely when
>> they share the same data. It is a situation that now we are employing
>> more Linux workstations and this need has come up and I am currently
>> having permission problems, was looking to see if any of you guys
>> have a method that works. For my nfs shares I use the option on the
>> share (anongid=***) and then add the users to that group. Is there a
>> way for samba and nfs users to share the same group? Or is there a
>> better way than this? Thanks, Peter

I am running samba as a pdc that used to have all 98 workstations. Then
came xp workstations and now Linux workstations. I know I don't have
samba right as far as groups and machine logins because I get alot of
bitching like these now that xp is involved;

rpc_server/srv_util.c:get_domain_user_groups(298)
get_domain_user_groups: primary gid of user [debbie] is not a Domain
group ! get_domain_user_groups: You should fix it, NT doesn't like that
: 1 Time(s)

rpc_server/srv_util.c:get_alias_user_groups(206) get_alias_user_groups:
gid of user debbie doesn't exist. Check your /etc/passwd and /etc/group
files : 1 Time(s)

So, I would like to clean up those problems and then do a group that
could be cross platform (samba and nfs) that I could add users too.
Suggestions where to start?