[nflug] Fish - and more on MC (much more - sorry) hey JJ (possible tutorials!)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 22:30:10 EST 2005

Sounds like you may have stumbled on a topic that could actually take a few
meetings to teach.  Many folks probably use Gnome or KDE or even other
graphical file manipulators but are unaware of the power of MC.  I for one
realize it's there but end up always getting frustrated by not knowing what to
do.  I like the split window and like many CLI toosl know there is more I can
do but don't take the time to learn it.

Now being shown that's another matter.  The next time people are clamering for
a topic for a meeting, "How to get more for less by using MC" or " MC and you -
become a super User..." Ok you get the point :-)

Anyway just wondering if there are any online tutorials (debian centric great
any others OK) on MC that can get me started learning if it the right tool for
me...
(I still work in console on a few machines - very few...)

JJ

--- pirrone <pirrone at localnet.com> wrote:

> If you do JJ, please post your impressions.  I'd be interested in how a
> user of your experience perceives the efficiency of this approach to
> file management etc. over the dominant graphical applications.
>
> I've got MC all tricked out with just the way I want files of .ext type
> handled.  Virtually all documents - text, office suite, multimedia,
> executable, whatever are all configured through ~/.mc/mc.ext to open on
> a press of Enter with just the application, in some cases full-featured
> and in others lightweight, that I prefer.
>
> For example, I might prefer doing my serious word processing in OO.o
> Writer but would rather have a .doc file or an .rtf open from MC with
> AbiWord since it launches so quickly and renders well in the latest
> versions.
>
> Finally, on the ultra-clean "desktop" of the equally ultra-efficient
> window manager Fluxbox, I've got MC set to run in a modeless Eterm
> window - no border, no title, no menu, no scroll bar - set to
> transparency, which along with MC set to transparency as well has in its
> file display mode all directories and all files floating in MC's frames
> transparent against my subtle blue background, and in its shell mode
> showing nothing but the command prompt eerily floating below the top of
> an empty screen.  Do a CLI action and watch the stdout fill the screen!
>
> Key section of ~/.mc/mc.ini for this transparency:
>
> [Colors]

base_color=normal=white,default:directory=white,default:marked=yellow,default:selected=gray,white:ex

ecutable=brightgreen,default:link=lightgray,default:stalelink=brightred,default:special=brightblue,d