[nflug] Fish - and more on MC (much more - sorry) hey JJ (possible tutorials!)

pirrone at localnet.com pirrone at localnet.com
Mon Nov 28 11:56:13 EST 2005

  Just realized this Web client has a Reply and a Reply to List
options, so here is a resend of my previous message to JJ.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tutorial.en.html[1]

  I'd be glad to share my configuration files and suggestions on
usability.

  Frank

  Quoting JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com>:

> Sounds like you may have stumbled on a topic that could actually
take a few
> meetings to teach.  Many folks probably use Gnome or KDE or even
other
> graphical file manipulators but are unaware of the power of MC.  I
for one
> realize it's there but end up always getting frustrated by not
> knowing what to
> do.  I like the split window and like many CLI toosl know there is
more I can
> do but don't take the time to learn it.
>
> Now being shown that's another matter.  The next time people are
> clamering for
> a topic for a meeting, "How to get more for less by using MC" or "
MC
> and you -
> become a super User..." Ok you get the point :-)
>
> Anyway just wondering if there are any online tutorials (debian
centric great
> any others OK) on MC that can get me started learning if it the
right
> tool for
> me...
> (I still work in console on a few machines - very few...)
>
> JJ
>
> --- pirrone <pirrone at localnet.com> wrote:
>
>> If you do JJ, please post your impressions.  I'd be interested in
how a
>> user of your experience perceives the efficiency of this approach
>> file management etc. over the dominant graphical applications.
>>
>> I've got MC all tricked out with just the way I want files of .ext
type
>> handled.  Virtually all documents - text, office suite,
multimedia,
>> executable, whatever are all configured through ~/.mc/mc.ext to
open on
>> a press of Enter with just the application, in some cases
full-featured
>> and in others lightweight, that I prefer.
>>
>> For example, I might prefer doing my serious word processing in
OO.o
>> Writer but would rather have a .doc file or an .rtf open from MC
with
>> AbiWord since it launches so quickly and renders well in the
latest
>> versions.
>>
>> Finally, on the ultra-clean "desktop" of the equally
ultra-efficient
>> window manager Fluxbox, I've got MC set to run in a modeless Eterm
>> window - no border, no title, no menu, no scroll bar - set to
>> transparency, which along with MC set to transparency as well has
in its
>> file display mode all directories and all files floating in MC's
frames
>> transparent against my subtle blue background, and in its shell
mode
>> showing nothing but the command prompt eerily floating below the
top of
>> an empty screen.  Do a CLI action and watch the stdout fill the
screen!

>> Key section of ~/.mc/mc.ini for this transparency:
>>
>> [Colors]

base_color=normal=white,default:directory=white,default:marked=yellow,default:selected=gray,white:ex

ecutable=brightgreen,default:link=lightgray,default:stalelink=brightred,default:special=brightblue,d
>> efault:device=magenta,default:editnormal=white,default
>>
>> Eterm configuration from ~/.fluxbox/menu and keys where Alt-f pops
it
>> right up:
>>
>> Mod1 f  :ExecCommand Eterm --trans --borderless --scrollbar off
>> --buttonbar off --geometry 100x44+18
>> 5+65 --font 10x20 --foreground-color white -e mc >/dev/null 2>&1
>>
>> Example of accessing OGG files from ~/.mc/mc.ext:
>>
>> ### Sound files ###
>> regex/\.([oO][gG][gG])$
>>          Open=if [ "$DISPLAY" = "" ]; then ogg123 %f; else (xmms %f
&); fi
>>          View=%view{ascii} ogginfo %s
>>
>> Sorry to ramble, and rhapsodize, but let me tip my hand in closing
if I
>> haven't already - I can scream with this application - tagging,
moving,
>> copying, renaming, editing ASCII and HEX, shelling out to try
something,
>> all the features of its Virtual File System - you name it.  My
>> productivity is absolutely optimized here.  Now I haven't spent
much
>> time trying to get Nautilus or Konqueror doing any of the above,
and do
>> indeed have strong opinions on the value of "desktops" cluttered
with
>> "icons" and working solely in graphical applications that force
you to
>> do it their way, but languished long enough in Windows Explorer to
have
>> erected a little shrine in the corner of my room to MC.
>>
>> Frank
>>
>> JJ Neff wrote:
>>
>> >Now to actually try to learn to use MC (been promising I would
for Oh so
>> >long...)
>> >
>> >JJN

Gnome

Links:
------
[1] http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-tutorial.en.html
[2] /horde/services/go.php?url=fish%3A%2F%2Fremote.host
[3]
/horde/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nflug.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fnflug
[4] /horde/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.yahoo.com
[5]
/horde/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nflug.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fnflug
[6]
/horde/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nflug.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fnflug
[7] /horde/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmusic.yahoo.com%2Funlimited%2F
[8]
/horde/services/go.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nflug.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fnflug