linux in the classroom

Jason Lasker lasker at eng.buffalo.edu
Tue Jun 7 10:29:07 EDT 2005

Although VMware will work it is not a very scalable solution.  We use it in
some of our Linux labs and it is a pain to maintain.  I would look at a
Windows Terminal server solution instead, much more scalable and easier to
maintain.  We are moving away from VMware in labs and going to WTS/Citrix
where possible.

If you only have a few machines to maintain then VMware will work well.
Educational pricing is about $129.00/seat last I checked.

Not sure what educational pricing is for WTS.  You will need a WTS CAL
license and a workstation license (you should already have these)

Either method may be costly...

Jason Lasker
Senior Programmer Analyst/Systems Administrator
University at Buffalo
Science and Engineering Node Services
113 Bell Hall
Buffalo, NY 14260-2050