linux in the classroom

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 09:45:28 EDT 2005

Remember that you also have the possibility of setting up a Windows server and
using Windows Terminal Server and 'rdesktop' to connect to a common server to
run windows apps.  If you're running simple apps, I imagine that the server
that would be required would be fairly small.  How much Windows software and
how complicated is it?  If it's fairly simple stuff, Wine will run it quite
well, as long as it's well behaved.  If you could let us know what software you
have, we might be able to figure out if it will work.  Also, just because they
bought something, does it mean that you HAVE to use it?  There are equivalents
for a lot of Windows stuff.

Here is a site with a table of Linux/OSS/free software apps that are
equivalents for Windows only stuff:
http://www.linuxrsp.ru/win-lin-soft/table-eng.html

Cheers!

Bob