linux in the classroom

Eric R. Benoit ebenoit at hopevale.com
Tue Jun 7 09:13:43 EDT 2005

A small high school.
 I would like to test/setup a small lab of student computers with linux
and an "emulator" to run win32 software that the school purchased.  I am
having difficulty trying to find a free emulator if it even exists (Wine
is limiting).  I also have not used an emulator before and am not sure
how well it would perform (hopefully better than windows) and would be
unsure of it's scalability with the software we have and will purchase.
For instance we have a II tier server application for reading that uses
IPX.  I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I also don't no any problems
that could occur running win32 applications that are meant for
connectivity accross a network.  "I" lack in this area, and I just want
to know enough that will satisfy me to start working on such a project.
Would an emulator run ALL my win32 software?  Would an emulator need a
beefy computer to run on?

Thanks,
Eric