[nflug] RE: Burning a CD-R

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Dec 21 22:23:57 EST 2005

JJ Neff wrote:

>No software - no matter how pretty or goooey will do anything if your
>underlying kernel and cdrecord DO not like the burner or work correctly
>
>YOU MUST try to burn first with the cmd line cdrecord (or cdrdao) as that is
>all that is being called when you use KDE, XCDROAST etc etc.  If you can't make
>it work the GUI on top won't be able to either...
>
>Now when you've read all the cdrecord MAN page, and the ever continuing saga of
>cdrecord VS 2.6 kernel and atapi interface etc etc etc you'll realize why I
>stopped burning cds and burn DVDs exclusively - dvd+rwtools works just fine.
>Believe you me, I really want to burn CDs but cdrecord does not work with my
>hardware under my kernel - not much I can do unless I'm willing to 1) reboot
>into 2.4 kernel and use scsi emulation (and Maybe work) 2) become an expert C
>programmer and fork cdrecord and start over with a non scsi specific
>interface...
>
>Hmm Let me start reading some more :-)
>
>JJN
>
>--- Richard Hubbard <hubbardr at adelphia.net> wrote:
>

>>i've never had any problems with xcdroast
>>
>>another idea is to be a tough guy and do it through the command line tools.
>>
>>(_The Linux cookbook_ by carla schroder gives a no nonsense step by step
>>for how to use these tools, or you can try the man pages.)
>>
>>Me, I'm a wimp that uses xcdroast.  The nice thing is that it is
>>strictly x, and doesn't depend on gnome or kde.
>>

>>Ron Maggio wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, all
>>>Well...I tried both toast in KDE and k3d in Gnome, and both suck!
>>>Neither will burn! It goes through all the motions after I gave it
>>>what to burn, and it just sits there! Nothing! I even left it alone
>>>and did something else for 15 minutes and came back to see it had done
>>>nothing. Stalled in limbo land, it was suggested that Nero had a
>>>product for Linux. To me that beats the whole purpose, to get away
>>>from commercial software. I really don't want to go back to Windows,
>>>but it seems I will if I can get full usage of this system. What the
>>>hell good is it if you can't do the same as you can do in Windows. Oh
>>>by the way, I did RTFM. I read all that there could be to read about
>>>how to use this software, and I still can't get it to work. The
>>>hardware is somewhat new, and worked very well under Windows. Any help
>>>would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks, Ron M.

This thread is a blast from the past, 2.6.* kernels in IDE burner land.
Let me restate this, I have NEVER had a problem burning with ANY IDE
burner in 2.6 land EXCEPT the dreaded 2.6.8 kernel and even then it was
only a permission problem with K3B needed to run as root. No ide-scsi
emulation is needed in 2.6 land so just take it out whereever you might
have it loading, if you do. In 2.6 land this has been from Fedora Core 2
to now Core 4. As everyone has been saying, start from the basics,
command line, if it doesn't work there, it doesn't matter what app
gui/frontend your using. First question would be is, what kernel are you
using?