[nflug] RE: Burning a CD-R

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 20:23:43 EST 2005

No software - no matter how pretty or goooey will do anything if your
underlying kernel and cdrecord DO not like the burner or work correctly

YOU MUST try to burn first with the cmd line cdrecord (or cdrdao) as that is
all that is being called when you use KDE, XCDROAST etc etc.  If you can't make
it work the GUI on top won't be able to either...

Now when you've read all the cdrecord MAN page, and the ever continuing saga of
cdrecord VS 2.6 kernel and atapi interface etc etc etc you'll realize why I
stopped burning cds and burn DVDs exclusively - dvd+rwtools works just fine.
Believe you me, I really want to burn CDs but cdrecord does not work with my
hardware under my kernel - not much I can do unless I'm willing to 1) reboot
into 2.4 kernel and use scsi emulation (and Maybe work) 2) become an expert C
programmer and fork cdrecord and start over with a non scsi specific
interface...

Hmm Let me start reading some more :-)

JJN