Good distributions for testing Oracle on Linux

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 09:36:14 EDT 2004

--- Robert Meyer <meyer_rm at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a Sun E250 that we are going to be experimenting with Linux/Oracle on.
>
> Which Linux distribution works the best with Sun Boxen and why?  The 'why'
> part
> is important.  I especially need to have a version that will work with Oracle
> 10g.

Gentoo would work on it, though gentoo is not a "supported platform" byoracle,
as for Oracle  it requires specific versions of binutils to be installed, so
you sometimes have to play games with fooling the installer.

Gentoo runs great on my ultra 30/ultra 60.  BTW the U30 is for sale, asking
$185.00 for it,  includes 384 megs of RAM, 4gb and 18gb SCSI disks, and an
Elite3D frambuffer. (the good one)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk