Good distributions for testing Oracle on Linux

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Wed Aug 4 07:55:18 EDT 2004

i've setup oracle 8i/9i on redhat 6.2, 7.x, ES 2.1 and SuSE 9.0 without
any problems. the redhat ES2.1 implemenatation was for a client who does
clinical trials so db server must be up all the time. we set it up for
them last fall and the linux/oracle setup has never blinked once.

they only way that you might get oracle running on linux/sparc is to try
the solaris version of oracle. if you're going to go to all that trouble
you'd be better off just running it on solaris. i just setup oracle 10g
on one of your e450's running solaris9, it's a seamless install. i
didn't even have to figure out what to set the shared memory and
semaphores, it figured it out for me.