meeting this weekend?

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 20:24:49 EDT 2003

--- Mark Robson <markrobson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Bob, if you're back on, hope things went well Friday.

Yep, I'm back.  And I can see!

> I'm still working over the partition issues from last
> week, and wonder if either Evolution or Mozilla can
> import MS Outlook .pst files.  Looks like a way can be
> done with Mozilla in Windows, first, then save as
> csv/txt, etc...  But I haven't yet gotten to where I
> can re-install windows.  I have a 75mb file saved, I
> even learned to 'roll' it (?) in Gnome.  Now it's only
> 50mb.  But I need to get it over to another machine to
> import it into wind-ohhhs.  I have this Linux box and
> my kids' windows boxes on enet behind a router and
> adelphia cable modem.  Their win98 machines (and the
> now-dead XP) did peer-to-peer successfully.
>
> Okay, the questions:
> - can I directly import *.pst into Evol or Moz.  If
> not, is there another email client I can do this in?

PST files are a bear.  I have successfully gotten Addressbooks moved over but
so far, the only raional way to migrate the PST files into anything else seems
to be:

1) Connect to an IMAP server with outlook
2) Copy all of your Email and folders to the IMAP space.  This requires an IMAP
server that can handle folders and messages in the same folder such as courier
IMAP.
3) use the IMAP server as your storage place from then on or go into Mozilla or
Evolution and suck the folders back down into local space.  I personally like
keeping things in IMAP 'cuz then I can access them from anywhere.

This is, of course, if you want to keep it in Mozilla or Evolution.  If you
really want to move it to another machine and reload it into outlook, then you
want to use the export/import functions.

> - Is there a way short of learining Samba (enduser,
> not admin, very intimidated) to move this file over
> the wires?  I don't find anything about Linux and p2p.

Well, you can do NFS and mount the filesystems or you can use SSH/SFTP or FTP
to move stuff back and forth.  Depends on where you're trying to get the file.

> For a smaller file, I'd just email it to my yahoo
> account and switch machines.  At 75mb, too big.  I
> don't want to try to use an upload to the web
> somewhere, do I?  With the cable connection, I get
> fast enough up/download to consider that, too.

SFTP or ftp seem to be your best bet for one file.

Cheers!

Bob