audio cd

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 08:44:50 EDT 2003

OK Two different type of CD's.

Audio CDs are not really Data CDs well not to the OS.  When you rip the audio
track and convert it wav or any other format you are taking a straight audio
stream (analog(OK OK not truly Analog like a tape or record but good enough for
this explanation) and converting it to a digital compressed data file <-- very
simple explanation.  So when you stick in a cd of wav's or mp3's your OS says
"Hmm this is data what do I usually use for this type of data?"

Audio is different, you do not mount Audio (no real data files just audio
tracks), Most Linux Dists will have a CDPLayer or or some very simple CDApp
depending on desktop environment.  Just put the CD in and press play on the CD
Player of choice.  -- NOw if I remember correctly the Audio stream goes
straight to the sound card via the little cable that attaches the two , that's
why pure audio cds don't get interrupted by lots of CPU activity and the like.

Hope I explained that right, a pure audiophile is probably cringing but maybe
it makes some sense.

JJN