Gentoo Linux

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Tue Jan 21 01:12:09 EST 2003

Robert Dege wrote:
> Thanks for the speedy responses.  I was impressed to see 2 replies so
> quickly.
>
> I'll try loading the 8139cp module.  The main reason I was sticking with
> the other one was because that module worked with the other 2 distros I
> tried.
>
> My backup plan is to use a 3rd party NIC, but I have limited PCI slots, so
> it can't be a permanent solution.  And if I get everything installed, that
> still doesn't fix the module problem, but it will provide me with better
> tools to debug the problem.
>
> I already set aside about 500MBs for /var.  I accidently had another
> machine where syslog died one time.  Sheesh.  That was cruel!
>

> -Rob
>

>>Hi, Dege!
>>I used Gentoo on my dual PII box for awhile, but I didn't have
>>anything like that happen.  Of course, my onboard NIC's an
>>EtherExpress Pro 10/100, and it seems EVERYTHING autodetects
>>that, even Slackware!
>>I ran into a motherboard w/ onboard sound and NIC's once where
>>they sometimes would conflict if the BIOS settings were not exactly
>>correct.  Gees!  That's gotta be 3-4 years ago that I ran into that.
>>It's all I can think of.  Might be worth looking into.
>>BTW, be sure you're very generous w/ /var partition size!  When I
>>did the first install, it totally wiped because it ran the 50 Meg /var
>>totally out of room!  I soft linked /var/temp to a bigger, less crowded
>>partition and it worked fine after that.
>>
>>I'm sure you did this, but did the install readme offer any pointers?
>>As I recall, they went into detail on how to handle several odd
>>network configs.
>>
>>Gentoo was cool enough to almost move me away from Slackware!
>>-Greg
>>
>>On 20 Jan 2003 at 22:26, Robert Dege wrote:
>>

>>>Is anyone out there using Gentoo Linux?
>>>
>>>I'm having some issues, and am looking for some advice, or someone that
>>>was in the same boat :) I have a Mini-PC (Shuttle SK41G), with onboard
>>>RJ45/Sound/Video/etc, etc.
>>>
>>>When I use the LiveCD (rc2), I am unable to get the RJ45 port to correctly
>>>identify & work.  It's a Realtek chipset & uses the 8139too.o module.
>>>
>>>When the LiveCD boots, it fails to identify the chip & loads several other
>>>non-related network modules.  After I correctly load the module, dmesg
>>>shows that it's correctly detected.
>>>
>>>When I run dhcpcd eth0, it pauses for a bit & then nothing.  If I
>>>manually set the IP/netmask/gateway info, I can see the config via
>>>ifconfig.  But ping fails on everything except localhost & the eth0
>>>assigned IP.
>>>
>>>Both RedHat 7.3, and Knoppix have been used, and both correctly identify &
>>>assign a DHCP address to this Realtek chip.
>>>
>>>Sorry for the length.  But it's a LiveCD, with limited debugging tools (no
>>>tcpdump, strings, syslog, etc).  And the CD requires an internet
>>>connection to continue the installation.

> Dege

> [...]

It may not apply here, but my RealTek eth0 is on a pci card (running on
RH8/kernel 2.4.20, and a quick lsmod shows a module called "8139too",
even though I don't normally use eth0 at home... let me know what
happens ok? I have a hard time believing that Slack (let alone Gentoo)
wouldn't have something like that.

--
"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price."
		-- Richard M. Stallman