Gentoo Linux

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Tue Jan 21 00:40:43 EST 2003

Thanks for the speedy responses.  I was impressed to see 2 replies so
quickly.

I'll try loading the 8139cp module.  The main reason I was sticking with
the other one was because that module worked with the other 2 distros I
tried.

My backup plan is to use a 3rd party NIC, but I have limited PCI slots, so
it can't be a permanent solution.  And if I get everything installed, that
still doesn't fix the module problem, but it will provide me with better
tools to debug the problem.

I already set aside about 500MBs for /var.  I accidently had another
machine where syslog died one time.  Sheesh.  That was cruel!

-Rob

> Hi, Dege!
> I used Gentoo on my dual PII box for awhile, but I didn't have
> anything like that happen.  Of course, my onboard NIC's an
> EtherExpress Pro 10/100, and it seems EVERYTHING autodetects
> that, even Slackware!
> I ran into a motherboard w/ onboard sound and NIC's once where
> they sometimes would conflict if the BIOS settings were not exactly
> correct.  Gees!  That's gotta be 3-4 years ago that I ran into that.
> It's all I can think of.  Might be worth looking into.
> BTW, be sure you're very generous w/ /var partition size!  When I
> did the first install, it totally wiped because it ran the 50 Meg /var
> totally out of room!  I soft linked /var/temp to a bigger, less crowded
> partition and it worked fine after that.
>
> I'm sure you did this, but did the install readme offer any pointers?
> As I recall, they went into detail on how to handle several odd
> network configs.
>
> Gentoo was cool enough to almost move me away from Slackware!
> -Greg
>
> On 20 Jan 2003 at 22:26, Robert Dege wrote:
>

> > Is anyone out there using Gentoo Linux?
> >
> > I'm having some issues, and am looking for some advice, or someone that
> > was in the same boat :) I have a Mini-PC (Shuttle SK41G), with onboard
> > RJ45/Sound/Video/etc, etc.
> >
> > When I use the LiveCD (rc2), I am unable to get the RJ45 port to correctly
> > identify & work.  It's a Realtek chipset & uses the 8139too.o module.
> >
> > When the LiveCD boots, it fails to identify the chip & loads several other
> > non-related network modules.  After I correctly load the module, dmesg
> > shows that it's correctly detected.
> >
> > When I run dhcpcd eth0, it pauses for a bit & then nothing.  If I
> > manually set the IP/netmask/gateway info, I can see the config via
> > ifconfig.  But ping fails on everything except localhost & the eth0
> > assigned IP.
> >
> > Both RedHat 7.3, and Knoppix have been used, and both correctly identify &
> > assign a DHCP address to this Realtek chip.
> >
> > Sorry for the length.  But it's a LiveCD, with limited debugging tools (no
> > tcpdump, strings, syslog, etc).  And the CD requires an internet
> > connection to continue the installation.
> >
> > Dege
> >
> > So Many Things in Life Would Be Really Funny
> > .... If They Weren't Happening To Me

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me