Trouble with kernel rebuild.

Brad Bartram bradbartram at ccsisp.com
Tue Jan 14 13:59:57 EST 2003

If you built your kernel from source, make sure that you have support added
for loadable kernel modules.  The nvidia driver is a module which can't be
compiled as a static part of a monolithic kernel.  To test this, you can
issue the command insmod <nv or nvidia I forget which>, this will insert the
module into the running kernel.  Same goes for your network card.

It's real possible to set it in the make config to be a lkm and then if you
are expecting it to be static in your kernel you don't run your make
modconfig.

Hope this rambling was helpful.

brad