your mail

John R. Ghidiu john at rmdashrf.org
Sun Feb 16 23:03:03 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003, James Morin wrote:

> DSL MODEM ->  pub IP <Machine 1> 192.168.0.1 -> <-  192.168.0.2
> <Machine2>
>
> I would like everything for *.mydomain.com to hit my first machine.
> However, I would also like abc.mydomain.com to hit my second machine.
> Would I use BIND to set this up or iptables, or something else?

this is a job for bind. please be aware that this *can* bite you, if you
are not careful. ive done this myself, and the way i did it seemed to work
out pretty well. set up bind on machine 1. have machine 2 (and all others
on your network) use machine 1 as a dns server. the advantage to this is
that machine 1 can be a caching name server, so when adelphia's (or
whoever your service provider is) name servers go down, you wont be SOL
like most other people ;)

step 1.) get and install bind
getting 9.x is probably your best bet
because its 'more secure' and the config files are not too bad (if you
happen to have red hat 8, there is a nice GUI for setting up the domain
[but ive had trouble with it not building correct files]). if in doubt,
there are a few good tutorials on bind on the web (understanding how DNS
works is helpful here).

step 2.) configure machine 2 to use machine 1 for DNS
edit /etc/resolv.conf and make sure that the only nameserver line is one
that contains the ip address of machine 1 (depending on how your network
config for machine 2 is, you may have to edit some files in
/etc/sysconfig/networking or /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts).

that should do the trick! let us know of any problems (thats why we are
here).

john

ps - looking at DNS can be a daunting task, but understanding it and
realizing that its not really difficult is a great feeling ;)

--
John R. Ghidiu
john at rmdashrf.org

"Just don't create a file called -rf. :-)"
  - Larry Wall in <11393 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>