Richard Hubbard hubbardr at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 17 08:27:08 EST 2003

you would use bind.

If you are familiar with dns and naming, then you can set up the
following scenario::
first machine, running bind (actually named). Set up the mydomain.com
(although if you set it up with a domain name that is not usable on the
internet, then you will be better off, imho...ie mydomain.house)
Set up forwarding to your isp's dns server, in case your dns server
doesn't find the name.
Set up A records for both machines (is firstmachine.mydomain.house
192.168.0.1, abc.mydomain.house 192.168.0.2)
Setup up CNAME records pointing to firstmachine.mydomain.house for all
of the other uses...ftp, www, samba, etc
Lastly, make sure your ip setup points everyone inside your house to use
your dns server. This is most easily done by putting that information in
DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) which passes out ip
information to your machines on startup.

If you want to do all of this the manly way, buy the book BIND and DNS
from O'Reilly and read it carefully. Otherwise, borrow it from the
library and read the first three chapters. Then use Webmin
(www.webmin.net) to do everything else. I consider myself somewhat of a
wimp, so I used webmin to set up BIND and DHCP.