Knoppix 3.3, WiFi

David M Rosonowski rosonowski at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 25 22:32:26 EST 2003

Allo.

I took a nap earlier today and awoke to the sound of a
hard drive head seeking and not finding on my laptop.
I'm out of state right now, and the only other machine
I can use is not so freindly.

Now, I have a knoppix v3.3 disc that loads up fine, to
my pleasure, but the truth is, I had been using win2k
on the machine before, and I have no idea how to get
the Linksys wpc11v4 PCMCIA card to work.

Turns out that it is a Realtek 8180 chipset, which I
can find support for here :
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?Keyword=8180#2002121Unix%20(Linux)

I have a USB flash drive that is mounting ok, but at
128MB, it's not remotely likely to manage a full
install.

So, my question is, how can I manage something with
WiFi?

I wouldn't object so a small distro that supported the
card, but my knowledge is fairly limited, so I kind of
need something turnkey-ish. As far as applications go,
if I can get KDE, (konquerer and kword) and VNC going,
I would be all set. But mostly I need the wifi to
work.

Hope that made sense.

=====
"I have not slept a wink"