KDE login

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Sep 11 19:03:34 EDT 2002

Your XDM is controlled through /etc/inittab.  It should query
/etc/X11/prefdm for what XDM to run.  locate kdm, gdm, and xdm.  Replace
/etc/X11/prefdm with their absolute path, and see if your kdm problem
exists when running the other 2 xdm's (if installed).  This should give
you a better scope of where the problem lies.

You'll probably have to reboot (or init 3 / init 5) so that your system is
forced to respawn the new session.

-Rob

> I still can't login to my desktop from kdm even though I have KDE3 now as an
> option.  I still have to fall out to console and login then telinit 3 then
> startx.  I have an .xsession-errors file that is huge (mostly jave errors).
>
> I noticed that SSHd refuses to start due to security and I have NO ROOT
> Password.  I typed SU to do something and was allowed to be root with no
> prompt!
>
> Now that I checked I realized that all my users are being logged in with NO
> passwords !  Awww heck....
>
> I tested loggin in from my server console which only goes to runlevel 3
> (console) and it too uses NIS and autofs and it logs me in as normal, asks for
> a password both at login and when I SU.
>
> OK I just remembered I had set MSEC to 0 to test if that was affecting login
> and I set it back to 2 and now it asks for passwords!  Sheesh does that mean
> anyone can setup a machine on my network with msec set to 0 and login as anyone
> as long as they use NIS
>
> Anyone with ideas please feel free to holler! I still can login with kdm...
>
> JJN
>
> JJN

> Yahoo! - We Remember
> 9-11: A tribute to the more than 3,000 lives lost
> http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me