KDE login

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 11 18:30:25 EDT 2002

I still can't login to my desktop from kdm even though I have KDE3 now as an
option.  I still have to fall out to console and login then telinit 3 then
startx.  I have an .xsession-errors file that is huge (mostly jave errors).

I noticed that SSHd refuses to start due to security and I have NO ROOT
Password.  I typed SU to do something and was allowed to be root with no
prompt!

Now that I checked I realized that all my users are being logged in with NO
passwords !  Awww heck....

I tested loggin in from my server console which only goes to runlevel 3
(console) and it too uses NIS and autofs and it logs me in as normal, asks for
a password both at login and when I SU.

OK I just remembered I had set MSEC to 0 to test if that was affecting login
and I set it back to 2 and now it asks for passwords!  Sheesh does that mean
anyone can setup a machine on my network with msec set to 0 and login as anyone
as long as they use NIS

Anyone with ideas please feel free to holler! I still can login with kdm...

JJN

JJN