NTP and win2k

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Thu Nov 29 13:16:50 EST 2001

i've figured it out. i've been told by our nt admin that we'd need to
setup a domain controller for this to work with win2k's native ntp
client. nothing feels quite as nice as proving windows admins wrong.

i pulled this registry values that need to be modified from rob meyers
message "More on NT time syncronization", which i was reading on
technet.m$.com when he sent to message to the lug.

there are 3 registry values that need to me modified, LocalNTP, type,
and ntpserver. all of which are located under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters

LocalNTP: only starts by default it the machine is a domain controller.
	  change the value from 0 to 1

type: is set to Nt5DS sync to domain controller (like we all use DC's).
	change the value from  Nt5DS to NTP

ntpserver: hostname or IP of the ntp server. comma seperated list
	create/change the value to ntp.domain.com,ntp2.domain.com

i've exported the registry key for anyone who wants to quickly modify it
without have to dig through the registry.

<boudica:/home/darinper> cat ntp_reg_values.reg
ÿþWindows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters]
"LocalNTP"=dword:00000001
"Period"="SpecialSkew"
"type"="NTP"
"ntpserver"="ntp.phor.com,ntp2.phor.com,ntp3.phor.com"

enjoy ;}