NFLUG Mailing List Issues

Dennis J. Eberl dje at pcom.net
Sun Apr 2 00:40:14 EST 2000

James, Ye Protector of Tux-in-a-Barrel,

Sorry this sucker is so long.

James Simmons wrote:

> > > Let me restate that. Right on the join page it first contains info on the
> > > mailing list. Then below that it has the forms to join.
> >
> > I still disagree. The more you ask people to do, the less likely they are
> > to do it.
> >
> > After all, what's wrong with making the membership form a trigger
> > that sends someone who filled out the form e-mail that says (1) if
> > you are not you, please ignore this message, (2) otherwise, welcome
> > aboard, and (3) please join our mailing list by, etc.
> >
> > Instructions to unsubscribe can be given in subsequent e-mail
> > exchange. If anyone forgets that they can always e-mail the
> > webmaster. I need to remember to put a link on every page.
>
> You really should make joining the mailing list as simpel as possible.

I see it the other way around. We should make joining the group as easy
as possible. Having said that, I see nothing wrong with making getting
on our mailing list as easy as possible. I just don't want to end up with
a situation where the membership list, which I keep, and the mailing
list, which majordomo keeps, get out of sync.

Here is what I would like to do. All people have to do to get on the list
is fill out the membership form and bam I send their e-mail address
to Darin to put them on -- if and only if Darin agrees.  I could add
a radio button for the list.

(*) Yes, put me on the list
( ) No, please leave me off the list

I am not sure absolutely sure I know why Darin insists
on the "go through channels" approach (by which
I mean the subscription method built in to majordomo). Either he
is (rightly) concerned about getting flamed by people who are put
on the list against their wishes AND / OR he is (rightly) too busy
to put them on. He is gratifyingly efficient when I send him change
pages.

Darin, please comment. I am Bcc'ing you separately on this. Sorry
about the duplicate. Just wanted to make sure it came to your
attention.

> > I am also about to get rid of the green and with it the Tux in a
> > barrel picture. It may be cute, but I want something cleaner.
> > More white space.
>
> Leave Tux in the barrel alone !!!

Can I make him and his barrel wobble? Maybe I'll center him at the top.
I do want to simplify and radically revise the web site. It is a maintenance
nightmare.

Where is the context for what follows? I've forgotten what I was referring to.

> > I don't agree. That kind of thing should not go to everybody. I[t] might be a
> > private communication. The short term fix is to send the stuff to me or
> > anyone who would like to volunteer. If the recipient doesn't do his job (given
> > that its difficult to do after being hit by a bus), we'll eventually hear about
> > it and replace him. Period.

Oh, yeah. You had suggested people post stuff normally directed to a
web master directly to the list, because you bought a bus and are driving around
looking for me. Huh?

> Chances are if someone isn't doing the job,
> > they will be happy to be replaced. Obviously, people who get tons of e-mail
> > every day don't want the job. I'm offering to do it at least until I find
> > myself in a position where I can't handle it any more.
>
> Well at least make a email aliases at nflug.org to forward mail to
> one/group of people. Alot of site thats list lugs list a contact address.

Oh, you want a Contacts page. Fine. You've got it -- IF YOU REMIND
ME since it's late and we get some CONSENSUS on what belongs there.

Again, I'm not sure of the original context below. I don't understand
what you were trying to say, and, therefore, don't really understand
my response to you.

> Well I have discovered that they are really slow at changing things.

Who are they? What things?

> We
> really need a constant address

What is a "constant address" and why do we need it?

> to the outside world but internally we
> could have to change.

I don't know what "internally we could have to change" means.

> > I don't understand. If it exists, why do we need to add it. It's probably
> > something like send "unsubscribe nflug" to majordomo at nflug.org and
> > leave the subject blank.
>
> KISS. Remember we are talking about newbies with no majordomo experience
> joining. Web interface is a must for joining and removal.

Roger that. I hope on and off lists a fair amount (usually off after I binge
subscribe),
but I found the wording in the nflug instructions vague and hang fire. And example
is telling people (if I remember correctly) not to put anything in "Subject:" or
maybe it was that the subject field wasn't even mentioned and is often used to
subscribe. There is a lack of closure.

In any case, I completely agree that we should not force newbies to cope with
the relative complexities of subscribing to our mailing list. But look before you
leap to put an Unsubscribe button or check box on our site. I'll put one in and
unsubscribe you tonight, Ok?

Dennis