NFLUG MISSION STATEMENT

James Simmons jsimmons at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sat Apr 1 22:19:18 EST 2000

> > Let me restate that. Right on the join page it first contains info on the
> > mailing list. Then below that it has the forms to join.
>
> I still disagree. The more you ask people to do, the less likely they are
> to do it.
>
> After all, what's wrong with making the membership form a trigger
> that sends someone who filled out the form e-mail that says (1) if
> you are not you, please ignore this message, (2) otherwise, welcome
> aboard, and (3) please join our mailing list by, etc.
>
> Instructions to unsubscribe can be given in subsequent e-mail
> exchange. If anyone forgets that they can always e-mail the
> webmaster. I need to remember to put a link on every page.

You really should make joining the mailing list as simpel as possible.

> I am also about to get rid of the green and with it the Tux in a
> barrel picture. It may be cute, but I want something cleaner.
> More white space.

Leave Tux in the barrel alone !!!

> I don't agree. That kind of thing should not go to everybody. I might be a
> private communication. The short term fix is to send the stuff to me or
> anyone who would like to volunteer. If the recipient doesn't do his job (given
> that its difficult to do after being hit by a bus), we'll eventually hear about
> it and replace him. Period. Chances are if someone isn't doing the job,
> they will be happy to be replaced. Obviously, people who get tons of e-mail
> every day don't want the job. I'm offering to do it at least until I find
> myself in a position where I can't handle it any more.

Well at least make a email aliases at nflug.org to forward mail to
one/group of people. Alot of site thats list lugs list a contact address.
Well I have discovered that they are really slow at changing things. We
really need a constant address to the outside world but internally we
could have to change.

> I don't understand. If it exists, why do we need to add it. It's probably
> something like send "unsubscribe nflug" to majordomo at nflug.org and
> leave the subject blank.

KISS. Remember we are talking about newbies with no majordomo experience
joining. Web interface is a must for joining and removal.