[nflug] fun with ssh

joshj at linuxmail.org joshj at linuxmail.org
Fri Jul 27 10:21:36 EDT 2007

Thus spake Darin Perusich:

> In order to get mailto: working in Firefox you need to set the
> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp, network.protocol-handler.app.http, and
> network.protocol-handler.app.https preferences for Tbird.
>
> This is my custom user.js files for both Firefox and Tbird..
>
> <login1:~> cat /misc/apps/SunOS/thunderbird/defaults/pref/user.js
> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/misc/apps/bin/firefox");
> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/misc/apps/bin/firefox");
> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/misc/apps/bin/firefox");
>
> <login1:~> cat /misc/apps/SunOS/firefox/defaults/pref/user.js
> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/misc/apps/bin/thunderbird");
>
> Stephen Burke wrote:
>>  Hi all,
>>
>>  I'm using ssh -X to run thunderbird for this mailbox. When I click a link
>>  in a message a new tab opens in my local firefox. I have no idea why it's
>>  doing this, but actually it's rather useful, especially if the links
>>  include flash or video. What I need now is a way to send "mailto" links
>>  from the local ff back to the remote tbird instead of the local
>>  (unconfigured) evolution. Both machines are ubuntu feisty.
>>
>>  I'm thinking there's something that can be done in about:config, but I
>>  haven't had any luck mucking about with the mail-type settings that are
>>  there. I'm also unsure about what would go in a new one in this instance.
>>  Maybe a line in /etc/mailcap?
>>
>>  Everything I've found online has been various universities explaining to
>>  students how to connect to their mail servers with ssh for whatever
>>  reason.
>>
>>  I'm lost.
>>
>>  Thanks,
>>  S.

Keep in mind that firefox is not "aware" of thunderbird (because it is
running on a different machine). It is only aware of ssh. So you might
be able to do something like this:

ssh you at remotemachine "thunderbird mailto:$EMAIL$"

I think you could do this with Darin suggests above. But modified
slightly:

pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","ssh you at remotemachine /misc/apps/bin/thunderbird");

Let us know how it works out.

-Josh