[nflug] fun with ssh

Stephen Burke qfwfq at roadrunner.com
Fri Jul 27 23:18:01 EDT 2007

joshj at linuxmail.org wrote:

> Thus spake Darin Perusich:
>
>> In order to get mailto: working in Firefox you need to set the
>> network.protocol-handler.app.ftp, network.protocol-handler.app.http,
>> and network.protocol-handler.app.https preferences for Tbird.
>>
>> This is my custom user.js files for both Firefox and Tbird..
>>
>> <login1:~> cat /misc/apps/SunOS/thunderbird/defaults/pref/user.js
>> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "/misc/apps/bin/firefox");
>> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "/misc/apps/bin/firefox");
>> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "/misc/apps/bin/firefox");
>>
>> <login1:~> cat /misc/apps/SunOS/firefox/defaults/pref/user.js
>> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","/misc/apps/bin/thunderbird");
>>
>> Stephen Burke wrote:
>>>  Hi all,
>>>
>>>  I'm using ssh -X to run thunderbird for this mailbox. When I click a
>>> link
>>>  in a message a new tab opens in my local firefox. I have no idea why
>>> it's
>>>  doing this, but actually it's rather useful, especially if the links
>>>  include flash or video. What I need now is a way to send "mailto" links
>>>  from the local ff back to the remote tbird instead of the local
>>>  (unconfigured) evolution. Both machines are ubuntu feisty.
>>>
>>>  I'm thinking there's something that can be done in about:config, but I
>>>  haven't had any luck mucking about with the mail-type settings that are
>>>  there. I'm also unsure about what would go in a new one in this
>>> instance.
>>>  Maybe a line in /etc/mailcap?
>>>
>>>  Everything I've found online has been various universities
>>> explaining to
>>>  students how to connect to their mail servers with ssh for whatever
>>>  reason.
>>>
>>>  I'm lost.
>>>
>>>  Thanks,
>>>  S.
>

> Keep in mind that firefox is not "aware" of thunderbird (because it is
> running on a different machine). It is only aware of ssh. So you might
> be able to do something like this:
>
> ssh you at remotemachine "thunderbird mailto:$EMAIL$"
>
> I think you could do this with Darin suggests above. But modified
> slightly:
>
> pref("network.protocol-handler.app.mailto","ssh you at remotemachine
> /misc/apps/bin/thunderbird");
>

> Let us know how it works out.
>
> -Josh

>> --
>> Darin Perusich
>> Unix Systems Administrator
>> Cognigen Corporation
>> 395 Youngs Rd.
>> Williamsville, NY 14221
>> Phone: 716-633-3463
>> Email: darinper at cognigencorp.com

Thanks for the input. Doesn't seem to be happening, though. I added the
ssh string to the local ff and remote tbird with their respective
about:config things,  but still get the evolution wizard with mailto
links. The lines above appear to be from the actual .js files, but I got
put off by the DO NOT EDIT warning at the top, so I used about:config

Is there another mailto pref that needs to be gotten rid of perhaps?
I haven't found it, if there is.

I'm not quite sure about the addressing part though. First I tried
qfwfq at remotemachine on both local ff and remote tbird prefs, and then
changed the tbird one to qfwfq at localmachine, thinking maybe that needed
to be pointed back here. Neither is working at the moment.

Thanks again,
S.

p.s. This line still baffles me: