[nflug] debian kernel upgrade?

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 18:52:29 EDT 2006

The kernel sources are called "linux-sources"

So to install a new kernel, use synaptic.  The kernels are usually
listed as "linux-image-x.y.z-rev-subarch"  subarch refers to what cpu
arch the kernel is compiled and optimized for,  liek 386, 686, k7,
server, etc.  i.e. linux-image-2.6.15-27-k7 for AMD Athlon systems.

So search for "linux-image" and "linux-headers" and choose the
appropriate set that you want to use and install them...

Then check /boot/grub/menu.lst to make sure the default=x line refers
to the appropriate kernel. (default=0 means the FIRST kernel) and
reboot your system.

-- David J. Andruczyk