[nflug] debian kernel upgrade?

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Tue Sep 19 18:55:30 EDT 2006

JJ Neff wrote:
> Did you install kernel-headers(your kernel version)?
>
> JJN
>
> I used MA and it made all this much easier.  The errors you are getting appear to do more with missing pieces (headers - locations etc) Are you using all packages?  Kernel headers, source etc.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, that's where things are really confusing
here. When I look at synaptic, it says that I have linux-kernel-headers
installed, but version 2.6.17.10-3. However, uname looks like this:
# uname -r
2.6.12

Even for one of my limited understanding, that seems rather strange.
There is also a "kernel-package" installed (apparently version 10.054,
whatever that means). A synaptic search for "kernel-sources" gives me
nothing. A search for kernel-source" just shows nvidia-glx and
nvidia-kernel-source packages which I don't really need, since there's
no nvidia hardware here.

Perhaps if I were more adept with apt-get it would be easier, I don't
know. When I try it looks like this:
# apt-get install linux-kernel-headers
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
linux-kernel-headers is already the newest version.

I'm not at all sure about "kernel-source" or kernel-sources" since that
gives me "no installation candidate" in apt.

Add to all that the fact that this is my first real experience with
debian since most other 'nixes I've set up (other than one other ubuntu,
which I seem to recall worked with the cam without even having to
install the pwc module separately) have been rpm-type ones (suse,
redhat/fedora) and I'm quite lost here. Not much has been changed from
what came from the elive cd, since everything but the webcam pretty much
worked properly just from the original install.

After previously getting a working cam "out of the box" on other ubuntu
(breezy) and fc3 installs, I was under the (clearly misguided)
assumption that the 2.6 kernel just took care of the whole pwc/webcam
issue.

I did go through something of a wrestling match getting this cam working
under RH9 a couple of years ago, but even then installing pwc from the
sources (which have since changed somewhat - "make" error below) pretty
much did the trick.

Advice is always gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
S.