[nflug] debian kernel upgrade?

Robert Stockdale IV javabob at adelphia.net
Wed Sep 20 02:45:38 EDT 2006

I know what your going through. I've just started using Ubuntu as well.
Had been running Gentoo my self for quite some time. Ubuntu/Debian is
quite different.
    Kernel header are not dependent on what kernel you are running but
what the binary application was compiled against. If you are interested
in a custom kernel take a look at kpkg.  After you get the kernel
sources (linux-sources for 2.6 kernels) do the appropriate  link steps
to  /usr/src/linux , configure with make  menuconfig or make xconfig.
When that is done and saved you will do a make kpkg instead of " make &&
make modules_install". This will create a debian kernel package that
your package manager  can install.

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

has a really good explanation of the process.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Bob

Stephen Burke wrote:
> JJ Neff wrote:
>> Did you install kernel-headers(your kernel version)?
>>
>> JJN
>>
>> I used MA and it made all this much easier.  The errors you are
>> getting appear to do more with missing pieces (headers - locations
>> etc) Are you using all packages?  Kernel headers, source etc.
>
> Thanks for the reply. Actually, that's where things are really
> confusing here. When I look at synaptic, it says that I have
> linux-kernel-headers installed, but version 2.6.17.10-3. However,
> uname looks like this:
> # uname -r
> 2.6.12
>
> Even for one of my limited understanding, that seems rather strange.
> There is also a "kernel-package" installed (apparently version 10.054,
> whatever that means). A synaptic search for "kernel-sources" gives me
> nothing. A search for kernel-source" just shows nvidia-glx and
> nvidia-kernel-source packages which I don't really need, since there's
> no nvidia hardware here.
>
> Perhaps if I were more adept with apt-get it would be easier, I don't
> know. When I try it looks like this:
> # apt-get install linux-kernel-headers
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> linux-kernel-headers is already the newest version.
>
> I'm not at all sure about "kernel-source" or kernel-sources" since
> that gives me "no installation candidate" in apt.
>
> Add to all that the fact that this is my first real experience with
> debian since most other 'nixes I've set up (other than one other
> ubuntu, which I seem to recall worked with the cam without even having
> to install the pwc module separately) have been rpm-type ones (suse,
> redhat/fedora) and I'm quite lost here. Not much has been changed from
> what came from the elive cd, since everything but the webcam pretty
> much worked properly just from the original install.
>
> After previously getting a working cam "out of the box" on other
> ubuntu (breezy) and fc3 installs, I was under the (clearly misguided)
> assumption that the 2.6 kernel just took care of the whole pwc/webcam
> issue.
>
> I did go through something of a wrestling match getting this cam
> working under RH9 a couple of years ago, but even then installing pwc
> from the sources (which have since changed somewhat - "make" error
> below) pretty much did the trick.
>
> Advice is always gratefully appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> S.

>>> 2) rmmod pwc #remove the old module, if loaded.
>>> 3) Decompress the file, make, and make install the new module.
>>> 4) modprobe pwc # load the new module