[nflug] adelphia

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Wed May 10 09:27:58 EDT 2006

Cyber Source wrote:
> Sounds like your doing a first time install. Call them up, tell them you
> are on Linux and need to set it up manually (they can do this from there
> end). When they do, you will start getting a public IP sent down the
> line, not the private IP your currently getting (take a look). Then
> reset the modem and restart your network, you should be good to go, I've
> done this many, many times and I LOVE telling them there is no windows
> (even though sometimes there is, I just want to see them go through it
> for Linux ;))

When I was still living in Louisiana, I had to do this for my BellSouth
DSL connection...

<snip of conversation>
Me : I can't use your install disc, it's only for Windows

BS : What version of Windows are you running?

Me : I'm not running Windows.

BS : You're using a Mac?

Me : No, Linux.

BS : What operating system does your computer run?

Me : Linux.

BS : Not your browser sir, I need to know what OS your computer uses.

Me : Linux.

BS : Sir, when you start up your computer, and you see the Windows logo,
what does it have with that logo?  Like 98, 2000, XP?

Me : Look, I am not running Windows.  Linux IS an operating system.

BS : I'm sorry sir, but I am not going to be able to help you until we
figure out what operating system you're running.

Me : I *KNOW* what operating system I'm running.  I've told you numerous
times.  Do you have Internet access right now?  Go to www.google.com,
and type in L-I-N-U-X.  Now, while you're educating yourself, can I
speak to a supervisor or somebody with a bit more computer knowledge?
</snip of conversation>

--
John C. Nichel IV
Programmer/System Admin (ÜberGeek)