[nflug] usb logitech mouse as secondary...

David J. Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 12:26:47 EST 2006

--- Josh Johnson <joshj at linuxmail.org> wrote:

> I'm trying to get linux setup on my buddies laptop. Everything is
> working out pretty well except his usb (logitech laser) mouse. The
> touch-pad works fine. But he often uses his external mouse because
> its easier. I found it as /dev/input/mouse1 . At first I had just the
> touchpad setup as /dev/psaux in xorg.conf. It worked fine but when
> you used the usb mouse the cursor would go crazy. Now having each
> setup as mouse[0,1] the usb mouse does nothing. Anyone know of any
> little tricks I might need to know?
>
> Notes:
> cat /dev/input/mouse0 # touchpad actions cause output
> cat /dev/input/mouse1 # usb mouse actions cause output.

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "PS2Mouse"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "Protocol"              "PS/2"
   Option      "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse0"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
   Identifier  "USBMouse"
   Driver      "mouse"
   Option      "Protocol"              "IMPS/2"
   Option      "Device"                "/dev/input/mouse1"
   Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
   InputDevice "PS2Mouse"      "CorePointer"
   InputDevice "USBMouse"      "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Edit to taste...
The important parts are at the end.  The "CorePointer" is the "main"
mouse, (should be the onboard touchpad), and the external one is called
the USBMouse and it'll send it's events to the core pointer source,  so
they'll both work simultaneously.  if you don't have the external
plugged in the one built into the laptop should work fine.

Dave J. Andruczyk