[nflug] any meetings?

David W. Aquilina david at starkindler.us
Sun Nov 20 00:12:37 EST 2005

While I'm not in Buffalo and can't contribute in the most meaningful way by attending, I can give some perspective on what another LUG (http://www.trilug.org) down here in the triangle area does..

- Our meetings are every second Thursday of the month at 7pm. We hold them at a pretty central location, as easy to get to as anything is down here, and with plenty of available parking.
- We have 'free' pizza and soda - donations solicited, however not required.
- We often have a sponsor, who gets to stand up and talk for a while before the main presentation.
- We have a presentation, often scheduled a couple months in advance, as the main part of each meeting. Past presentations have been:

    - Jeff Waugh from Ubuntu/Gnome
    - A Software RAID / LVM HOWTO
    - Bob Young, co-founder of Red Hat
    - An Asterisk HOWTO
    - A roundtable on various Linux distributions

... so, it's a bit more organized than things seem to be with NFLug. It's a bit different climate down here than it is in Buffalo - many, many more high tech companies - but some of that will hopefully give you guys some ideas for making meetings more attractive and likely to bring more people. We usually get anywhere from 50 to 100+ people at each meeting, depending on the presentation.

HTH,
--
David W. Aquilina
david at starkindler.us