[nflug] any meetings?

Ron Maggio ronmaggio2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 05:36:20 EST 2005

HI, David
  Sounds like you've had better luck with your LUG then this one.
  I and a few others where there from the first, but I dropped out cause I felt that there was not enough emphasis in the LUG shown to end users. I know first hand that the main problem was (and still is) that most of the membership are sysadmins and the like. Which disassociates newbie and mainstream computers users looking for a LUG to introduce them to Linux. Any one would think, that a LUG should make avocation job one. To advocate, a LUG must cater to the average end user, with the ability to promote Linux to the Windows world as the better alternative. This means not only bringing in speakers, but teaching various subjects to every user level. Not to say that it has not been tried, but if it where a success the meetings would not be as much of a failure as they are. The only way to reintroduce the LUG to the community is to change its mission, this means that new blood needs to step up to the plate to make changes. So as a average end users, I'll wait and see what happe
 ns. If I
 see over a few meeting things looking better, you will see me at all the meetings so I can learn Linux from cover to cover.

  My two cents, Ron:)

"David W. Aquilina" <david at starkindler.us> wrote:

While I'm not in Buffalo and can't contribute in the most meaningful way by attending, I can give some perspective on what another LUG (http://www.trilug.org) down here in the triangle area does..

- Our meetings are every second Thursday of the month at 7pm. We hold them at a pretty central location, as easy to get to as anything is down here, and with plenty of available parking.
- We have 'free' pizza and soda - donations solicited, however not required.
- We often have a sponsor, who gets to stand up and talk for a while before the main presentation.
- We have a presentation, often scheduled a couple months in advance, as the main part of each meeting. Past presentations have been:

- Jeff Waugh from Ubuntu/Gnome
- A Software RAID / LVM HOWTO
- Bob Young, co-founder of Red Hat
- An Asterisk HOWTO
- A roundtable on various Linux distributions

... so, it's a bit more organized than things seem to be with NFLug. It's a bit different climate down here than it is in Buffalo - many, many more high tech companies - but some of that will hopefully give you guys some ideas for making meetings more attractive and likely to bring more people. We usually get anywhere from 50 to 100+ people at each meeting, depending on the presentation.

HTH,
--
David W. Aquilina
david at starkindler.us