Installing Thunderbird

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 08:39:28 EDT 2005

Is there no RPM package for Thunderbird?  Can you upgrade to Mandrake 10?  I
only ask this because I am running Man 9.x and I run into many install problems
with incompatible versions of software that will not be upgraded in 9 since 10
is the de facto standard.  Mandrake 9 is almost 2 versions back in Firefox
support, still running phoenix I believe.

JJN

--- Joe <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote:
> Hi.  I'm confused about where to install Thunderbird (1.02).  I'm using
> Mandrake Linux 9.1.  I currently have only one user, but may want to add
> more later.
>
> If I install tbird under my user, then another user will not be able to
> use it.
>
> I tried installing it as root in /usr/lib/thunderbird.  This sort of
> works, but when I run it as a user, I get  error messages about not
> being able to access the extensions database, etc.  It then runs fine,
> but it treats anything to do with extensions as a no-op.  It's obviously
> upset about file and directory permissions.
>
> I tried chmoding /usr/lib/thunderbird/extensions and everything in it to
> 777, but that didn't seem to change anything and opened up security
> holes (so I don't want to leave it that way).
>
> Can somebody tell me how this is supposed to be done?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joe
>
> --
> God is dead. - Nietzsche 1882 Nietzsche is dead. - God 1900

Yahoo! Mail