Installing Thunderbird

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat May 7 13:50:44 EDT 2005

Hi.  I'm confused about where to install Thunderbird (1.02).  I'm using
Mandrake Linux 9.1.  I currently have only one user, but may want to add
more later.

If I install tbird under my user, then another user will not be able to
use it.

I tried installing it as root in /usr/lib/thunderbird.  This sort of
works, but when I run it as a user, I get  error messages about not
being able to access the extensions database, etc.  It then runs fine,
but it treats anything to do with extensions as a no-op.  It's obviously
upset about file and directory permissions.

I tried chmoding /usr/lib/thunderbird/extensions and everything in it to
777, but that didn't seem to change anything and opened up security
holes (so I don't want to leave it that way).

Can somebody tell me how this is supposed to be done?

Thanks.

Joe

--
God is dead. - Nietzsche 1882 Nietzsche is dead. - God 1900