RTF (Rich Text Format)

P. Goodman--Koyaanisqatsi ptgrunner at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 20 13:26:36 EST 2004

Robert F. Stockdale IV wrote:

> Hello everyone:    I just recently converted my wife's notebook (used
> as a desktop) over to Suse 9.1. For her work they are all Windoze
> users and sent her forms via email in rtf format. These forms need to
> be edited and submitted back in rtf format. I've tried OpenOffice,
> Kword Ted (which I had to compile and install) and Lyx. Nothing I've
> tried loads the page correctly. Does anyone have experience editing M$
> rtf documents and saving them back as rtf. She needs these reports to
> be done and I don't want her to tell me to put WinBlows XP (Xtra
> Problems) back on it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.
> Bob

Hi, Robert:

This won't help, but... I have the same problem on my Apple system (
yes, I have a Linux system also ), except a utility called MacLinkPlus
Deluxe ( DataViz )is available for OS X. It converts various Windows to
Apple files and vice versa; the conversions are not perfect and some
information, such as page numbering, is sometimes lost. It seems that
Apple RTF is somehow different than Windows RTF. In any event, I'm
unaware of any such utility for Linux but you might check Dataviz. If M$
would only _try_ to provide translators for other file formats, we would
have one less thing to dislike them for. Or maybe not if the resulting
SW is of the same quality as their other products.

You may have to hold your nose and reinstall XP, perhaps creating a dual
boot system.

pete

 * "Reality is that which, when one stops believing in it, does *
 *  not go away."--????                                         *