Athlon Motherboards

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Fri Aug 1 19:25:26 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 18:14, David Mangani wrote:
> I'm considering doing a rebuild on my box. I intend to go with AMD
> again. ( using a k6-2 now ) I want something that WILL work good with
> Linux. I don't need every bell and whistle but would like ethernet, USB
> 2.0 would be nice, sound can be there or not. I have a good SB live
> card. Definately don't want on board video. Anyone have a suggestion on
> a good board that won't break the bank. Would also like a newer board
> that supports 333 or even 400mhz ddr. Once I decide on a main board I'll
> see how much CPU I can afford. LOL

Ethernet - Get a 3COM card for best compatibility.

Sound Card - the one you have is fully supported.

Video Card - Nvidia Geforce cards are nice and affordable. I'm using a
ASUS Geforce4 Ti4200 card. There are cheaper ones, depends on what you
are doing. There are more expensive ones as well. If you play 3D
accelerated games, you would want at least a Geforce3.

Some people might recommend a ATI card. My preference is Nvidia over
ATI. Why? Well, I'm no expert, but I like John Carmack's(id software
lead programmer/owner , creaters of Wolfenstein 3D/DOOM I,II,III/Quake
I,II,III,IV etc) opinion...He has always been critical of ATI's driver
makers and praiseful of Nvidia's driver makers. He has stated the ATI
software driver's don't get as much out of the hardware as they could.
He has cited that Nvidia seems to put more emphasis on quality drivers.
Nvidia is also known for its support of Linux.

However, unless you are playing the absolute most modern games, it isn't
going to matter as much. Hard to make a mistake either way.

KEG