xawtv

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Apr 3 17:54:43 EST 2003

Well, I'm *still* in over my head.  Help would be appreciated!

As you pointed out, Mandrake loads usbvision as a module/driver for my
WINTV.
I went to:
http://usbvision.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=documentation

and it appears that Mandrake did about half of what I need.  In the
following, I will assume that you have (or hopefully, will<G>) taken a look
at the above URL so I won't repeat its contents.
I edited /usr/include/linux/videodev.h and added the line
#define VID_HARDWARE_USBVISION 36
(I know this won't do anything unless I compile something that references
it.)
I verified that /dev/video and /dev/video0 exist and have the proper
permissions.
I did a find / -name tuner.o and came up empty handed.
It seems to want BT848 support (whatever that is!) or something else that
will give me a tuner.o file.
I didn't see any file called BT848*, but I may not know where to look.
Also, I reviewed my lsmod and see that while usb-uhci is loaded, ohci-hcd is
not.

So, I need a tuner module and I need someone to review the install
instructions and suggest what I should try next.

Oh, and one small weirdness:  When I run xawtv, a new icon appears on my
desktop for GTKam video1.  When I select it, it wants to configure a webcam,
but when I select autodetect, it doesn't find one. I do have a usb camera
(Ezonics) hooked up to my usb hub, but so far, everything seems to have
ignored it.  It's real low on my priority list of things to get working.   I
just wanted you to know it's there in case it's confusing the issue.

Joe