Meeting and Mozilla

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 15:13:00 EDT 2002

Funny I was fighting Windows all weekend.  I had to reinstall Win98 since it
stopped starting.  (I was able to get in to Mandrake fine on the dual boot
system)  but to balance my checkbook in MS$ I needed to get into Windows. It
stopped starting after a few too many unable to shutdowns got the power button
(after installing a photo viewer for my camcorder)

I finally reinstalled the OS and that got me back to a working state but then I
could get NO network resources (aplications) to work, but I could ping by IP #!

ARRRGH

I finally found the answer in google, I had to delete a Winsock2 registry key,
uninstall and reinstall DUN and then network sockets could be created.  THe
only way I found the answer was by trying NON MS apps since all the MS apps
that tried to use the network just crashed with little or no error !  the
non-MS apps (FirstClass client, netscape) actually crashed with "unable to open
network socket" errors...

By the way I found the answer on my server which was running Linux and hasn't
had an issue in just short of forever...

Man I wish I could run MS money in Linux.. (I know about GNUcash but I have too
many years of data in this system and my bank supports MS$ natively...

JJN