Samba 2.2.4 Question

Justin Bennett justin.bennett at dynabrade.com
Mon May 13 09:44:58 EDT 2002

I don't know how many of you may be running samba in a production
environment. I have this on a redhat list and maybe asking in on a samba
list shortly. Just figured one of you may have experienced a similar
problem...

Here Goes (What I posted to Redhat 7.3 List):

Ok, This is a samba issue, and may get better results from a samba list
but I'm going to try here first. I installed the new samba 2.2.4 from
RPM on (Redhat) 7.3. My homes are automounted to /home from
NIS/Automounter/NFS
trio. Then the users homes are setup like /home/jbennett when the actual
directory may be /export/home/jbennett, or actually on another machine.
It works fine when you startup samba. However if I make a change to
smb.conf (it updates every minute or so) like to add a share or printer,
I am also playing with domain logins (Am using Solaris PCNetlink), after
I write any changes to the file any new attempts to mount a home (mostly
when NT clients need to be rebooted) the home will not map. I get an
NT_BAD_NETWORK_NAME or something like that (when I try using
smbclient).Existing connections to the share however are still working.
Just new shares. It's like it gets unbound from NIS. My Samba server is
also the NIS server and bound to himself (althouh it was bound to the
Solaris PCNetlink box, which until recently was the master, and it did
the same). Any one else experience this? Does it do this on 2.2.3a? When
I restart samba it works again. Don't really want to do that during the
day so, in order to get around it I needed to create a share definition
for every home that needed to be remapped, without restarting samba.

[jbennett]
writable = yes
valid users = jbennett
browseable = no