NTP and win2k

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 09:09:26 EST 2001

Check out a program called 'tardis'.  Apparently, it's online that you can
download and install.  It runs as a service (which eliminates the user
permission problem) and seems to be working here on our proxy server.

This information comes from the resident Win2K expert at Praxair.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob
--- Darin Perusich <Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com> wrote:
> this ones for the win2k admins out there. i want the win2k machines in
> the office to get there time from my ntp servers. i have 3 ntp servers,
> 2 sun server running xntp 3-5.93e that ships with solaris 8, and 1 cisco
> router. i've setup a win2k machine to start the "Windows Time" service
> on startup, yet it isn't getting the updated time from ntp. when i run
> "net time /setsntp:ntp.domain.com" it USUALLY updates the time but not
> always, wouldn't it be great if my linux services only worked sometimes
> ;}. if that doesn't set the time i can force it by running "m32tm -v
> -once -test", i've never had this fail. keep in mind that i'm either
> logged in as administrator or a user with admin perms. if i change the
> time, log off, or reboot the machine and login with a general "user" the
> time does not update. if i try to set the time via a netlogin.cmd logon
> script it fails with a permission denied error.
>
> after all that how do i get windows to sync time before it gets into
> luser land, during startup? are there any registry values that i need to
> tweak? as usually m$ technet has been useless.
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Darin Perusich
> Unix Systems Administrator