Quick turnaround question...

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 09:05:51 EST 2001

CDE stands for "Common Desktop Environment".  It exists on Solaris, IBM AIX,
HP-UX and a number of others.  It's based on Motif which is the toolkit used to
build the window manager 'mwm'.  There are other bits to the thing like
terminal emulators and a bunch of other tools.  There is also a launcher that
hangs out at the bottom of the screen similar to the KDE panel.  It has menus
and icons for launching stuff, four (or whatever you configure) virtual
screens, a logout icon and bunches of other stuff.  Configuring CDE is not the
same as KDE.  There are tools for configuring it but I haven't done it in a
while so it would take a few minutes to get reaquainted with it.  I know that
CDE on all platforms behaves pretty similarly.  All of the CDE tools names
start with 'dt'.  For instance, the terminal emulator is 'dtterm'.

I have no idea what KIA might be.

As far as printers, last I checked in HP-UX 10, they were using the SYSV print
spooler which means that you either use a tool to create and manage print
queues or you learn the complexities of 'lpadmin' and interface scripts.  I
suspect that they don't support 'cups', yet but you never know.

Most things on HP-UX work like you'd expect on a SYSVR4 machine.  The locations
of things will be the biggest thing that you have to contend with.  Every
Unix/Linux distribution seems to relocate things.

let me know if you need more info.

On another note, do you have a good working syllabus for teaching Unix?  I'm
going to be an unemployed bum starting next week and I've decided to go the
independant route and suspect that I will be teaching periodically, too.  I
taught Unix workshops at UB for a while but my old syllabus and teaching
materials no longer exist.  I got a copy of what was most recently used there
but the more info I have, the better product I can provide.

Maybe next week we can compare notes and put out heads together to come up with
a good syllabus that we both can use.

Cheers!

Bob Meyer

--- Richard Hubbard <hubbardr at adelphia.net> wrote:
> I have a chance to teach a class on HP Unix.
>
> I realize that in spite of what Richard Stallman might say, UNIX and Linux
> are close enough for all practical applications (especially in a teaching
> environment.  I used to teach a UNIX class, using Linux on the computers).
> However, there may be some issues...
>
> First issue, I was handed the outline, and a couple of topics mentioned are
> in the X-Window section that they are talking about.  They mention "HP-CDE"
> and "KIA". Does Anyone know about these?  Is there any place on the web I
> could get a quick primer?   Is there a Linux shell that looks/acts like
> these?
>
> There is also a 'configuration' section,.  I'm ok when they talk about NFS,
> and FTP  setup.  I'm a little worried when they mention Printers and
> "HP-UNIX" options.
>
> If anyone can help on any of these things, I would be most appreciative!
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Richard Hubbard
> MCT, MCSE, MCDBA, MCSD,
> CLP, CLI, A+, Net+, I-Net+, LCP, LCI